4 Ways To Stop Absorbing Other People’s Energies
Learning to stop absorbing other people’s energies could be the biggest challenge facing highly sensitive people and empaths. We easily feel what other people feel, whether it is a family member, the grocery store clerk, a co-worker, or a stranger. Going through our day to day life requires a certain awareness in order to distinguish between our feelings and others. This ability to recognize what we are taking on allows us to make a conscious choice about what to do next. Though we gain a lot from this unique ability, we often pay a hefty price for it. We can feel controlled by this trait and allow it to influence where we go and who we see. But there is another way to live. We can learn to thrive in the world with this special gift, we just need the right tools.
Tools To Stop Absorbing Other People’s Energies
- Get Grounded – this is the most important thing we can do in the morning, or anytime. It’s no secret highly sensitive people have trouble staying grounded because we feel everything so intensely and live in our heads. But grounding ourselves is the first step to take if we don’t want to carry around other’s emotions and energies as if they were our own. In 5 minutes or less, you can do the following;
- Visualize roots growing out of the bottom of the feet, reaching deep into the ground. Picture this until the feet feel weighed down.
- Run cool water on the wrists, or bring the wrists together, one on top of the other, with the hands going in opposite directions. Hold for 5 minutes. Take a shower or bath.
- Spend 5 minutes meditating, focusing on deep inhalations and exhalations.
- Say the word OM, drawing out the word slowly and repeat it for 5 minutes. Feel the vibration of the word in the body.
- Sit on or touch the earth/ground. Walk on the ground in bare feet. Hug a tree.
- Visualize – visualization is very effective for keeping other people’s energy separate from our own. To do this we can visualize ourselves in a personal box. This box has four walls surrounding us, with a lid on top of our head. This box is designed for positive energies to enter, but repels energies we don’t want. People can’t tell we put it there. We still sense what others are feeling and thinking, however, once we have recognized their energies it stays with them. The energy does not become entangled in ours and it does not stay in our box.
- Clear – this is highly useful after we have absorbed unwanted energy. While alone and in a quiet place, we start to swipe away the energy surrounding the body. We cup the hands and start above our head. Using both hands, we cut through the energy in a quick, swiping action, pushing it away. Our hands are clearing our head area, then move down to the neck, chest, abdomen and so on. Continue all the way down to the feet. When we are done, we picture ourselves in a white bubble. We have effectively cleared stored energy from other people out of our personal area.
- Do The Work – this step is more complex than the others but cannot be ignored. We take on other people’s emotions, thoughts, and sensations easily but have we ever stopped and questioned why? There is a tendency for us to be unconsciously attracted to helping and healing others. One way we do this is by adsorbing other people’s toxic energy and letting them feed off of our higher vibrations. Whether we are aware or not, we are getting something out of this transaction. This is where we need to do some inner work. We must examine our core beliefs and honestly question ourselves about what the pay off is. Who would we be without this trait? What could we do with our lives? How do we feel when we help to heal others? How do we help heal ourselves? How do we feel about boundaries? Does worthiness play a role? These are all questions we can explore while doing our inner work. When we uncover outdated hidden beliefs, we can let them go and replace them with new ones. How about this one;
“I am worthy of a happy life, filled with thoughts, emotions, and sensations that I choose.”
By using these four powerful techniques to stop absorbing unwanted energy, we are free to focus on other things. We can use our new found energy to accomplish the dreams and goals we set out for ourselves. We are free to move through the world in a new, empowering way. A way that allows us to use this unique gift to our benefit, and to the benefit of the world.
I had just recently found out that iam a highly sensitive person..now i already understnd myself better.. I now know y i felt this way before.. I thought i had some kind of mental illness.. Thankful and grateful that there are persons like who would let HSP like me to feel better and understand ourselves!!
Thank you Nicole! Doing the work I think will work best for me, because I’ve never focused on setting boundaries with who I chose to have empathy for, never thought I had the need to.
I sit next to the most toxic of coworkers, a very hateful, self-absorbed person. I instinctively want to help her (major personal problems, lashing out at everyone daily and tantrums all day), but I realize now that letting her energy invade me simply saps my strength. It won’t be easy, but at least now I have a tool I can apply to it!
Good luck, Patty. I hope it works for you!
Great blog! Thank you.