Nature is one of the most powerful and natural healing modalities available to us and yet it is largely untapped as a healing resource.
We highly sensitive people are more vulnerable to a stressed nervous system from the high levels of stimulation that are so rampant in our western culture.
Over my lifetime I have tried many modalities to relieve myself from the excessive stress out feeling I get from being ‘out’ in the world. What I have found is that Nature is the one consistent place my body, mind and spirit automatically relaxes and comes into a state of harmonious synchrony.
One way nature creates this nervous system balance is by helping us to shift our attention from thinking to sensing. The sights, smells, sounds and general energy level of nature is a lot more harmonious and attractive than the loud and discordant stimuli so often found in cities, the workplace and even our homes when the T.V is on.
How Your Heart Field CanRelieve Stressed Out Energy
Studies have shown that when you shift to sensing you alter the electromagnetic field of your heart. This causes the heart rate to slow as well as bringing the two parts of the nervous system into a dynamic state of alert relaxation.
The quickest and easiest way to bring yourself into this state which scientists call coherence is by actively seeking out that which you find attractive. Appreciation for beauty activates the heart’s energy field. Science has shown the size of the heart’s electromagnetic field is much larger than the brain’s. This means that the rest of the body and mind will entrain to it which creates that much sort after state of relaxed ease and openness.
The more you practice direct perception and appreciation the more you will move out of ordinary thinking and into pure consciousness. It is in this state you are able to deeply rest, rejuvenate, decompress and discharge all the chaotic stressed energies that are the seeds of so much dis-ease.
Even if you are not near natural wild places you can still look around you and seek out the beauty of nature. You can actively notice the gentle sway of a tree branch, the rustling of leaves in the breeze, the fluffy white clouds silhouetted against the deep blue sky or the delicious fragrance of daffodils coming into bloom, signaling spring and a time of rejuvenation and new beginnings.
Appreciating Beauty Mediation
Try the following ‘Appreciating Beauty Meditation’ taken from Empowered Nature Meditations; for Personal & Planetary Healing
1. Look around you and find something that attracts your attention. It would be better if this were something from nature such as a rock, a tree, or a flower. Gently bring your full awareness to the object you find beautiful. Become aware of the elegance of its shape, the intensity of its color, the light on its surface, and the specific presence of the item. Ask yourself what makes this item unique?
2. Imagine you are taking in the essence of this object. Breathe in its best qualities as if you could absorb those qualities into yourself.
3. Look at the tiniest detail and notice how each aspect contributes to the whole.
4. Now look at the entire object and sense its grandeur even though it might be small and subtle. Practice going from the small to the large view. Now try to see the object as huge, and then bring it back to normal size.
5. Blur the focus of your vision slightly and try to see a glow around the object. Can you sense a radiation of any kind from it? Ask yourself what is it you like about this object? What aspects stand out for you? These are the qualities that you already possess.
6. As you go about your day pay attention to your surroundings. Look for what you find beautiful around you. Appreciate the beauty and breathe it into yourself.