The rich variety of energy healing methods available today can create the transformational energy healing that HSPs need.
As awareness of alternative energy healing therapies has increased, interest in energy healing techniques has grown as well. Now there are even schools to teach these energy healing methods.
The American Holistic Medical Association‘s Guide to Holistic Health defines energy medicine as a wide range of bioenergetic techniques and the use of both conventional and microcurrent energy devices.” It describes energy medicine as “… one of the most important aspects of holistic medicine, due to its ability to diagnose and treat disease in the human bioenergy field, often before it manifests physically in the body.”
Energy can become stagnant, and if blocked and thwarted over a long period of time, will eventually interfere with the healthy flow of energy throughout the body precipitating disease. This blocked energy may have difficulty changing, releasing or recovering and may need healing assistance. Energy healing methodologies of all kinds can be useful to free an individual’s energy and restore healthy energy flow in the body.
Different Types of Energy Healing
Because highly sensitive people have such sensitive nervous systems and take in so much information and stimulus, their energy frequently becomes depleted and damaged. Using energy healing as part of their regular self-care can benefit highly sensitive people in a number of ways:
- help release old wounds,
- help heal damaged cells
- help release anger, anxiety, and fear
- restore the natural energy flow that becomes blocked from overstimulus
- by restoring balance, help eliminate unhealthy habits.
Ayurveda and reiki are definitely two forms of energy medicine since they both work on the energy field. There are others as well.
Some practices for energy healing are:
- Acupuncture, acupressure and EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) all work on the energy meridians of the body to create healing.
- The energy healing system of Barbara Brennan like other forms of energy awakens healing energy to remove energy blocks and negative patterns of energy. She works on energy protection as well. Barbara Brennan’s School
- Donna Eden is a widely known energy healer and a pioneer in the field of energy medicine. She has an extensive training program; her healers work in many hospitals so their work is well accepted. Her website is : Donna Eden’s Innersource.
- Bodywork: body work generally refers to massage but there are additional modalities that fall in this category: shiatsu and cranial-sacro therapy are several.
- Reiki: Reiki is an ancient hands-on healing technique, that was lost for many years. Dr. Mikao Usui, a Japanese doctor, and professor, set out to find it, and the reiki system he developed is the result. Although the Usui Reiki system is the foundation of reiki with extensive training and development of the hand positions used to deliver reiki, other types of reiki have developed over time.The Reiki practitioner awakens healing energy for an individual by placing their hands in standard positions on the body, over the primary organs of the body. The reiki energy is taken in by the recipient and goes to where the recipient has the greatest need. Although the practitioner will focus on those areas where the recipient indicates a need, ultimately the recipient’s body determines where the energy is put to use. Reiki has a long history of providing great relief to many people for many illnesses and can be an important part of an individual’s health program.Reiki energy is transmitted from a reiki master teacher to student in an attunement process. Reiki practitioners have a training “lineage” which identifies the schools of reiki in which they and their teachers have been trained. Lineage is an important piece of information to understand the system of reiki you are working with. There are a number of websites that offer basic information, two of them listed here: William Rand’s International Center for Reiki Training, and the Usui site: Reiki Alliance
Investigating Energy Healing
Energy medicine is a relatively new and exciting path for healing. It is important to research the modality you are interested in and find competent professionals to work with. Our Mental Stress Resources are a start.
Energy healing can reduce stress, heal old traumas and help you feel wonderful It can also be a great adventure!