Health is emerging as the transcendent value that can solve the problems of our troubled world. The value of health is different from health itself. The value of health is a guiding light that illuminates our choices and helps make choices easier.
Health can be subtle. A healthy society does maintenance. It maintains everything, relationships, institutions, infrastructure, people, animals, plants, rivers. In short everything. I was in a dentist office not too long go and the dentist was complaining that many young people do not want to brush their teeth because that takes their time from other things. Unfortunately, the value of health and maintenance is a non-starter for many people in our highly competitive and consuming world.
The Benefit Of The Value Of Health
The value of health gives us some exceptional benefits:
- It creates resilience. Resilience is more than being able to withstand some adversity. Resilience is also about laying and maintaining personal and community foundations that are sustaining and sustainable.
- Health is not reckless. It is the antithesis of recklessness. The value of health recognizes the interdependency of all life and recognizes that when we harm the web of life we harm ourselves. So maintaining health in all things helps everyone.
- Health is not adversarial. It sees the value in all things and allows everything to contribute in its own way and minimizes the misuse of any aspect of our world.
- Health creates a foundation that enables each person to evolve into their best self. It minimizes interpersonal, societal and environmental damage that creates ill will and damage to the hopes and well-being of people, animals and nature.
- The value of health is holistic and sees limits as productive, not as an enemy. It respects yesterday and the learning and progress it has brought, acknowledges the damage, and proceeds to build a world where what we have accomplished is put to use to create a sustainable world. It does not see any one idea or thing as “the be and end all”, not religion, not science, not anything. The value of health is open to the answers wherever they are found.
- Health asks different questions because it sets different priorities. It’s not about blame and fault. It’s not really about failure. It’s about what we are creating, and why and how to do it better.
- Health is not ideological. It transcends parties, religions, and cultural demographics. It does not have an axe to grind.
The value of health allows us to create a constructive place where we can build on the best of the past in an inclusive way . We can benefit from all of the resources that have been built up, the skills we have created, and create a health-oriented, long-sighted world. In short, a world we want to live in.
One of the best aspects about the value of health is that there is nothing or no one to conquer. It puts us all on the same page not in terms of identity or culture but in terms of how we operate in the world and in terms of what we are creating in the world. Because of that, it offers us the chance for some serious peace.