I would love a vacation from fear.
I have been thinking about fear lately, mostly because our cultural system just seems to be one form of fear or another and it never stops.
It doesn’t make sense, really. Why would anyone want to live that way?
It all seems quite irrational which is why I am writing about it.
An Epidemic Of Fear
Our relationship to fear is awfully strange to me.
- we have a continuous stream of information on the news as evidence that we live in a world where we need to be afraid. Yet at the same time, we are at risk of environmental collapse and expected not to be afraid of it.
- most if not all of us have health problems which we are expected not to be afraid of, yet “overcoming” fear with extreme sports is an applauded practice.
It would appear that we have an epidemic of fears and an equally great need not to acknowledge them. Why is fear related to the cultural system or economy more important that fears related to the environment and the ecological system that we all depend on to survive?
Because we are an apparently individualistic society, we often treat fears as an individual matter. But are they really? If that is the case, why do news outlets churn out one fear-based story after another? Why even before one war ends do we start another? Why do we call any project a war, like the war on drugs?
The Source Of Fear
Spiritual masters will tell you that all fear comes from separation and there is merit to that point of view.
However, something else seems to be afoot in my opinion. I get the feeling that fear is just something else we manufacture – that fear has become big business.
- war is obviously a big business and includes all the businesses that support it
- watch television and notice how many potential diseases are served up as a reason to buy medication
- fear drives the consumption of most products including fashion and cars. Notice how much fear and insecurity are used to move you to action – to consume.
If fear is big business and we have many businesses in the fear business, how do we develop a different way of life? How much time, energy and other resources would be freed by relinquishing the fear economy?
A Vacation From Fear
How do we find a way not to become totally inundated with the poison of fear in our lives? Yes, we can meditate, and we can detach. We can see how we share the planet with everyone and everything and experience the magic in that.
Unfortunately, even when we do it is still there – the fear.
Because fear has become a machine. And it seems very resistant and self-serving. A fear-based system that thrives on the pain of others and that does not want to change.
I wonder what would happen if we had a vacation from fear? Would we miss it? Would we know what to do with ourselves? Do we have a purpose that is not related to fear?
I think it would be interesting to see if we would recognize that perhaps we are all wasting a lot of time and energy chasing our tails all over fear – which we don’t really need.
Don’t feel bad if you have fear. We are all drowning in it.
Give it a try – take a vacation from fear. You will not disintegrate and you may be happier as a result. If we all did this, we would starve the fear system and be free of it. I can’t think of anything better!